Juan E. Gilbert, Ph.D.
The Banks Family Preeminence Endowed Professor
Primary Research Area
Database, Data Science and Informatics, Human-Centered Computing, Information Security, Machine Learning
Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Cincinnati, 2000
M.S., Computer Science, University of Cincinnati, 1995
B.S., Systems Analysis, Miami University (OH), 1991
Human-Centered Computing, User Experience & Accessibility, Spoken Language Systems, Electronic Voting Systems, Advanced Learning Technologies, Culturally-Relevant Computing, Brain-Computer Interaction, Broadening Participation in Computing, STEM Workforce Development
Chattaraman, V., Kwon, W.S., Gilbert, J. E., & Li, S. (2014). Virtual Shopping Agents: Persona Effects for Older Users. Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing, 8,2, pp. 144-162.
Jackson, J.F.L., Charleston, L.J., & Gilbert, J.E., (2014). The Use of Regional Data Collection to Inform University-Led Initiatives: The Case of a STEM Education SWOT Analysis, Journal of STEM Education, 15, 1, pp. 11-19.
Charleston, L.J., Gilbert, Escobar, B., & Jackson, J.F.L. (2014). Creating a Pipeline for African American Computing Science Faculty: An Innovative Faculty/Research Mentoring Program Model, The Journal of Faculty Development, 28, 1, pp. 85-92.
Gilbert, J.E., Dunbar, J., Ottley, A., & Smotherman, J.M. (2013). Anomaly detection in electronic voting systems. Information Design Journal, 20, 3, pp. 194-206.
Eglash, R., Gilbert, J.E., & Foster, E., (2013). Toward Culturally Responsive Computing Education, Communications of the ACM, 56, 7, pp. 33-36.
Gilbert, J.E. & Johnson, A.E., (2013). A Study of Admissions Software for Achieving Diversity, Psychology Journal, 11, 1, pp. 67-90.
Jackson, J.F.L., Charleston, L. J., Gilbert, J.E., & Seals, C., (2013) Changing Attitudes About Computing Science at Historically Black Colleges and Universities: Benefits of an Intervention Program Designed for Undergraduates, Journal of African American Studies, 17, 2, pp. 162-173.
Ekandem, J.I., Davis, T.A., Alvarez, I., James, M.T., & Gilbert, J.E., (2013) Evaluating the Ergonomics of BCI Devices for Research and Experimentation, Ergonomics, 55, 5, 592-598.
Mack, N., Hall, P., Gardner-McCune, C., Hodges, L. & Gilbert, J. (2014). Designing with Students: A Participatory Approach to Creating Know Your History: An Interactive History Textbook. In Proceedings of World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education 2014 (pp. 344-354). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
Jones, J.N. & Gilbert, J.E. (2014). SightWord Pal: An Interactive Sight Word Tutor for African-American First Grade Readers. In Proceedings of World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education 2014 (pp. 1453-1461). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
Moon, D., Solomon, A., Thomas, S. & Gilbert, J. (2014). Special Connections: A Social Media Website for Teaching Social Skills to Individuals with Cognitive Disabilities. In Proceedings of World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education 2014 (pp. 1349-1354). Chesapeake, VA: AACE.
Chattaraman, V., Kwon, W.-S., & Gilbert, J. (2013). Interaction style of virtual shopping agents: Effects on social presence and older consumers’ experience in e-tail sites. In Proceedings of the 70th International Textile and Apparel Association Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA.
Kwon, W.-S., Chattaraman, V., & Gilbert, J. E. (2013). Virtual agent locus of control: Cognitive assistance for older consumers’ online shopping. In Proceedings of the 70th International Textile and Apparel Association Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA.
Senior, J., Parker, V., Cason, K., Gilbert, J.E., Meehan, N., Hernandez, Y., Blanco, K., & Linton, B., (2013). Using virtual reality to foster dietary and physical activity behaviors among minority women. In Proceedings, 2013 International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, pp. 474-475, May 24th, 2013.
Andujar, M., Ekandem, J.I., Gilbert, J.E., & Morreale, P. (2013). Evaluating Engagement Physiologically and Knowledge Retention Subjectively through Two Different Learning Techniques, 15th International Conference, HCI International 2013, Las Vegas, NV, USA, July 21-26, 2013, In Proceedings, Part II, Vol. 8005 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 335-342.
Amin, R., Jackson, F., Gilbert, J.E., Martin, J., & Shaw, T. (2013). Assessing the Impact of Latency and Jitter on the Perceived Quality of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, 15th International Conference, HCI International 2013, Las Vegas, NV, USA, July 21-26, 2013, In Proceedings, Part III, Vol. 8006 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pp. 97-106
Lola, P., Eugene, W., Hall, P., & Gilbert, J.E. (2013). Balloting: Speeding Up the Voting Process, 15th International Conference, HCI International 2013, Las Vegas, NV, USA, July 21-26, 2013, In Proceedings, Part II, Vol. 373 of Communications in Computer and Information Science, pp. 373-377.
Awards & Distinctions
- 2021, SIGCHI Social Impact Award
- 2018, Fellow, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- 2013, Featured in People of ACM in the ACM Bulletin on October 3, 2013
- 2013, Auburn University Black Graduate and Professional Student Association creates the Juan E. Gilbert, Ph.D. Distinguished Lecture Series
- 2013, Named an Idea Maker: Ten Tech Innovators in 2013 by the Chronicle of Higher Education
- 2013, ACM Richard A. Tapia Achievement Award
- 2012, Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman’s Awards for Advancement in Accessibility
- 2012, Named one of the 2012 The Root 100 Black Influencers and Achievers
- 2012, National Center for Women in IT (NCWIT) Undergraduate Research Mentoring Award
- 2012, Hamilton, Ohio Booker T. Washington Community Center Academic Excellence Award
- 2012, Miami University Bishop Medal Alumni Award
- 2012, February 2012 Named “Dr. Juan Gilbert Month” by Hamilton, Ohio City Council
- 2012, Recipient of the Hamilton, Ohio City Council Key to the City
- 2012, Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) District III Grand Award Winner for Audiovisual Communication, “Prime III: The world’s first all-accessible, electronic voting system”
- 2011, Presidential Award for Excellence in Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Mentoring (PAESMEM)
- 2011, Minority Media and Telecommunications Council Broadband and Social Justice Blog People’s Hero of the Week
- 2010, Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- 2010, ACM Distinguished Scientist
- 2010 – 2012, IEEE Computer Society Distinguished Visitors Program (DVP)
- 2009, Speech Technology Magazine Speech Luminary Award Recipient
- 2008, IEEE Computer Society Golden Core Award
- 2008, National Associate of the National Research Council of the National Academies
- 2009, Featured as a Master of Innovation by Black Enterprise Magazine March 2009
- 2009, Black Engineer of the Year Modern Day Technology Leadership Award
- 2008, National Society of Black Engineers Golden Torch Award for Pioneer of the Year
- 2008, BDPA Epsilon Award for Outstanding Technical Contribution
- 2007, Minority Access, Inc. National Researcher Role Model Award Recipient
- 2006, Elevated to Senior Membership of the IEEE Computer Society
- 2006, Microsoft Research External Research Fund Recipient
- 2006, Ralph H. Metcalfe, Sr. Chair – Marquette University
- 2006, Featured in City Year New York Martin Luther King, Jr. Mural Painting in Honor of Diversity in Technology
- 2006, Invited as a Presenter at the 2006 National Academy Annual Meeting
- 2005, Invited to the National Academy of Engineering Frontiers of Engineering Symposia at the GE Global Research Center.
- 2005, Named an Honorary Citizen of Huntsville, Alabama by The City Council and Mayor of Huntsville
- 2005, 100 Black Men of Greater Auburn/Opelika, Inc. Superior Academic Service Award
- 2005, American Society for Engineering Education Minorities in Engineering Award
- 2005, Black Engineer of the Year Special Recognition Award Recipient
- 2004, Invited to the National Academy of Sciences Beckman Frontiers of Science Symposia
- 2002, (Profiled in Black Issues in Higher Education as a top scholar) (De)Programming Sterotypes. Black Issues In Higher Education. 18, 23, (2002).