Index (by topic area)
- Overview Papers
- Designing a Data Warehouse
- Extracting Data from Sources
- Warehouse Integration
- Warehouse Maintenance & Consistency
- Query Processing & Optimization
- Multi-dimensional Databases
- Data Mining
- Research Protoype Systems
- Commercial Data Warehousing Products
- Miscellaneous Data Warehousing Links
- Larry Greenfield, Data Warehousing Information Center. (Web site)
- Jennifer Widom, Research Problems in Data Warehousing, Int'l Conf. on Information and Knowledge Management '95.
- Jeff Byard and Donovan Schneider, The Ins and Outs (and everything in between) of Data Warehousing. ACM SIGMOD 1996 Tutorial Notes, May 1996.
- Kimball, R., The Data Warehouse Toolkit. John Wiley, 1996.
- V. R. Gupta, "An Introduction to Data Warehousing," System Services Corporation, August 1997.
- W.H. Inmon, Building the Data Warehouse. John Wiley, 2nd edition, 1996.
- B. Devlin, Data Warehouse: From Architecture to Implementation. Addison-Wesley, 1997.
- M. Sweiger. "Optimal Machine Architectures for Parallel Query Scalability." Sequent Computer Systems.
- Surajit Chaudhuri and Umesh Dayal, An Overview of Data Warehousing and OLAP Technology, ACM SIGMOD Record 26(1), March 1997.
- M.C. Wu and A.P. Buchmann, Research Issues in Data Warehousing. In Proceedings of the BTW '97, Ulm, Germany, March, 1997.
Designing a Data Warehouse
Extracting Data from Sources
- Stanford Technology Group. "Designing the Data Warehouse on Relational Database Systems." The Stanford Technology Group, an Informix Co., Menlo Park, CA, White Paper, 1996.
- Redbrick. "Star Schema Processing for Complex Queries." White Paper, Red Brick Systems, Los Gatos (CA), 1995.
- Redbrick. "Star Schemas and STARjoin Technology." White Paper, Red Brick Systems, Los Gatos (CA), 1995.
- C.J. Klumpp. "Surfing the World Wide Web to Make Every Data Warehouse Client a Data Expert." In CAUSE 1996.
- K. Aberer, K. Hemm. "A Methodology for Building a Data Warehouse in a Scientific Environment." In CoopIS 1996, 90-101.
- W. Labio, D. Quass, B. Adelberg. "Physical Database Design for Data Warehousing." In Proceedings of the International Conference on Data Engineering, Birmingham, UK, April, 1997.
- D. Theodoratos and T. Sellis. "Data warehouse configuration", Proc. VLDB '97, 126-135.
- H. Gupta and I. Mumick. "Selection of Views to Materialize Under a Maintenance-Time Constraint." Technical Note, 1997.
- H. Gupta and D. Srivastava. "Selecting and Maintaining Materialized Views for Message Management." Technical Note, 1997.
- H. Gupta, V. Harinarayan, A. Rajaraman, and J. Ullman. "Index Selection for OLAP." In Proceedings of the International Conference on Data Engineering, Binghamton, UK, April, 1997.
- H. Gupta. "Selection of Views to Materialize in a Data Warehouse." In Proceedings of the International Conference on Database Theory, Athens, Greece, January 1997.
- V. Harinarayan, A. Rajaraman, J. Ullman. "Implementing Data Cubes Efficiently." In Proceedings of ACM SIGMOD Conference, Montreal, Canada, June 1996.
Computing and Decting Changes:
- Y. Papakonstantinou, H. Garcia-Molina, and J. Widom. Object Exchange Across Heterogeneous Information Sources. In Proceedings of the Eleventh International Conference on Data Engineering, pages 251-260, Taipei, Taiwan, March 1995. Note: one cut-and-paste figure is omitted from the postscript file.
- Robin Cover. The SGML/XML Web Page. OASIS - Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards.
- W3 Consortium. eXtensible Markup Language (XML). W3 Architecture Domain.
Schema Extraction and Translation:
- S. Chawathe, S. Abiteboul, and J. Widom, Representing and Querying Changes in Semistructured Data, in Proceedings of the Fourteenth International Conference on Database Engineering, Orlando, Florida, February 1998.
- W. J. Labio and H. Garcia-Molina. "Efficient Snapshot Differential Algorithms for Data Warehousing." In Proceedings of VLDB Conference, Mumbai, India, September 1996, pp. 63-74.
- S. Chawathe, H. Garcia-Molina. "Meaningful Change Detection in Structured Data." In SIGMOD Conference, pages 26-37, 1997.
- S. Chawathe, A. Rajaraman, H. Garcia-Molina, and J. Widom. Change Detection in Hierarchically Structured Information. Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, pages 493-504, Montreal, Canada, June 1996.
- C3 Project Group. The C3 Project at Stanford.
- S. Nestorov et al. "Extracting Schema from Semistructured Data." In Proceedings of 1998 ACM International Conference On Management of Data (SIGMOD'98), Seattle, Washington, June 1998.
- Y. Papakonstantinou, A. Gupta, H. Garcia-Molina, J. Ullman. "A Query Translation Scheme for Rapid Implementation of Wrappers". In International Conference on Deductive and Object-Oriented Databases, 1995.
- M. Tork-Roth, P. Schwarz. "Don't Scrap It, Wrap It! A Wrapper Architecture for Legacy Data Sources." VLDB 1997, 266-275.
- J. Hammer, M. Breunig, H. Garcia-Molina, S. Nestorov, V. Vassalos, R. Yerneni. "Template-Based Wrappers in the TSIMMIS System". In Proceedings of the Twenty-Sixth SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, Tucson, Arizona, May 12-15, 1997.
- R. Kimball. Mastering Data Extraction." In DBMS Magazine, June 1996. (Provides an overview of the process of extracting, cleaning, and loading data)
- K. Hammer. "Migrating Data from Legacy Systems: Challenges and Solutions." Evolutionary Technologies International.
- M. Sweiger. "Building High Data Quality into your Data Warehouse." Sequent Computer Systems.
- G. Zagelow. "Data Warehousing-Client/Server for the Rest of the Decade." IBM.
Multi-Source Data Management:Warehouse Maintenance & Consistency
- S. Madnick. "Integrating Information from Global Systems: Challenges of Effectively Exploiting the Information SuperHighway," In Journal of Organizational Computing.
- E. Sciore, M. Siegel, and A. Rosenthal, "Using Semantic Values to Facilitate Interoperability Among Heterogeneous Information Systems," ACM Transactions on Database Systems, 19:2, pp. 254-290, 1994.
- A. Daruwala, C. H. Goh, S. Hofmeister, K. Hussein, S. Madnick and M. Siegel. "The Context Interchange Network." In Proceedings of the IFIP WG2.6 Sixth Working Conference on Database Semantics (DS-6), Atlanta, Georgia, May 30 to June 2, 1995.
- J. Widom. Data Management for XML - Research Directions. Working Document, April 1999.
- A. Levy. More on Data Management for XML. Working Document, May 1999.
- O. Duschka and M. Genesereth. Infomaster - An Information Integration Tool. In Proceedings of the International Workshop "Intelligent Information Integration" during the 21st German Annual Conference on Artificial Intelligence, KI-97. Freiburg, Germany, September 1997.
- Y. Papakonstantinou, H. Garcia-Molina, J. Ullman. "Medmaker: A Mediation System Based on Declarative Specifications". In International Conference on Data Engineering, pages 132 - 141, New Orleans, February, 1996.
- G. Zhou et al. "Data Integration and Warehousing Using H20." Technical report. University of Colorado, Boulder. 1995.
Query Processing & Optimization
Multi-dimensional Databases, Decision Support: OLAP, ROLAP, MOLAP.
Research Prototype Systems
Commercial Data Warehousing and Data Warehousing Related Products
Links to More Data Warehousing Info & Related Topics
Joachim's Home Page | Warehousing Research Home Page
Joachim Hammer, University of Florida, 1999 (last updated: Sept. 12, 1999)