MobiBench (Benchmarking Mobility Models for Simulation and Design of Future Networks)
- Partially Funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF).
NSF NeTS: Small:
Award # 1320694.
- - Faculty: Ahmed Helmy (Principal Investigator and Main Supervisor)
- - Current Students:
- - Babak Alipour, Ph.D. student (lead student researcher for integrated traffic-mobility analysis for pedestrians).
- - Roozbeh Ketabi, Ph.D. student (lead student researcher for the vehicular mobility analysis and simulation).
- - Mimonah Al-Qathrady, Ph.D. student (lead student researcher for the indoor mobility, encounter estimation and infection tracing).
Other Contributors and Collaborators
- - Current Collaborators:
- - Jörg Ott, Professor and Chair of Connected Mobility, Technical University of Munich (TUM), Germany.
- - Leonardo Tonetto, Ph.D. student, TUM - Aaron Ding, PostDoc, TUM - Ljubica Kaerkkaeinen, Ph.D. student, KTH
- - Previous Students and Collaborators:
- - Khalid Almuzaini, KACST, Riyadh, KSA - Pan Hui, HKUST & U. Helsinki - Damien Fay, Bournemouth U. - Tamer ElBatt, Cairo U.
- - Students: Gautam Thakur, ORNL, TN - Saeed Moghaddam, Apple Inc, - Mai ElSherief, UCSB.
Research Publications, Outcomes, and Data
- - Mobility Analysis & Modeling:
(see also MobiLib, [More data and tools to be shared. Updates to be made soon!])
- B. Alipour, L. Tonetto, R. Ketabi, A. Ding, J. Ott, A. Helmy, "Flutes vs. Cellos: Analyzing Mobility-Traffic Correlations in Large WLAN Traces",
IEEE INFOCOM, April 2018. (to appear) [Acceptance rate: 19%] [This study was driven by over 30TB of data].
- M. ElSherief, B. Alipour, M. Alqathrady, T. ElBatt, A. Zahran, A. Helmy, "A Novel Mathematical Framework for Similarity-based Opportunistic
Social Networks", Pervasive and Mobile Computing (PMC) Journal – Elsevier, pp. 134 – 150, Vol. 42, December 2017.
S. Moghaddam, A. Helmy, “Interest-based Mining and Modeling of Big Mobile Networks”,
In proceedings of IEEE Big Data Service (IEEE International Conference on Big Data Computing Service and Applications),
March/April 2015. [Acceptance rate: ~25%]
- M. ElSherief, T. ElBatt, A. Zahran, A. Helmy, "An Information-theoretic Model for Knowledge Sharing in Opportunistic Social Networks",
In proceedings of the 8th IEEE International Conference on Social Computing and Networking (SocialCom), December 2015.
- S. Moghaddam, A. Helmy, "Interest-aware Implicit Multicast (iCast): Opportunistic Mobile Data Dissemination
Without Per-group Management", In proceedings of ACM MobiCom MobiArch (Mobility in the Evolving
Internet Architecture Workshop), Sept 2014.
- - Vehicular Mobility Analysis and Simulation:
- R. Ketabi, B. Alipour, A. Helmy, "En Route: Towards Vehicular Mobility Scenario Generation at Scale", In proceedings of the IEEE INFOCOM – SmartCity
workshop, May 2017. (Avg. review score: 5/5).
- R. Ketabi, B. Alipour, A. Helmy, "Poster Abstract: En Route: Towards Trace-based Simulation of Vehicular Mobility", IEEE INFOCOM, May 2017.
(Winner of The Best Poster Award).
- G. Thakur, P. Hui, A. Helmy, "Evidence of Long Range Dependence and Self-similarity in Urban Traffic Systems", In proceedings of the
International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems (ACM SIGSPATIAL), November 2015. [Acceptance rate: ~18%]
- D. Fay, G. Thakur, P. Hui, A. Helmy, "Knowledge Discovery and
Causality in Urban City Traffic: A study using Planet Scale
Vehicular Imagery Data", In proceedings of ACM SIGSPATIAL IWCTS (Int'l workshop on Computational Transportation Science),
November 2013. (Winner of The Best Paper Award) [Acceptance rate: 21%].
- - Indoor Mobility & Encounter Analysis, and Smart Hospital Infection Tracing:
- M. Al-Qathrady, A. Helmy, "Improving BLE Distance Estimation and Classification using TX power and Machine Learning: A Comparative Analysis",
In proceedings of the ACM MSWiM (International Conference on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems), November 2017.
- M. Al-Qathrady, A. Helmy, "Location-Centric Flow Flux for Improved Indoor Mobility Models", In proceedings of the IEEE INFOCOM – SmartCity
workshop, May 2017.
- M. Al-Qathrady, A. Helmy, K. Almuzaini, "Infection Tracing in Smart Hospitals",
Book chapter 16 in the book “The Internet of Things: Foundation for Smart City, eHealth and Ubiquitous Computing”, Eds. Armentano, Bhadoria, Chatterjee, Deka,
by CRC, ISBN 9781498789028, 2017.
- M. Al-Qathrady, A. Helmy, “Poster Abstract: Location-Centric Flow Flux for Improved Indoor Mobility Models”, IEEE INFOCOM, May 2017.
- M. Al-Qathrady, A. Helmy, K. Almuzaini, "Infection Tracing in Smart Hospitals", In proceedings of the IEEE WiMob conference - e-Health
Pervasive Wireless Applications and Services workshop (eHPWAS), Oct. 2016.
Privacy: No private information is contained in the traces used. Trace acquisition adhered to the IRB approval/exemption rules, and proper
permissions were granted when needed.
[Note: This page is being updated.
Other related key publications can be found through this link].