Byron Williams, Ph.D.
Primary Research Area
Information Security, Pervasive and Mobile Computing, Software Engineering
CIS 4930 - Software Security - Fall 2020
CIS 4930 - Software Testing for Continuous Delivery - Fall 2019
CIS 4930/6930 Software Security - Spring 2019
Ph.D., Computer Science, 2009, Mississippi State University
Bachelors, Computer Science, 2004, Mississippi State University
application security, security analytics & metrics, secure software development
- G. Hernandez, D. Tian, A. Yadav, B. Williams, and K. Butler, “BigMAC: Fine-Grained Policy Analysis of Android Firmware,” Usenix Security Symposium 2020, Boston, MA, Aug 2020 (accepted)
- S. Iannucci, A. Montemaggio, B. Williams, “Towards Self-Defense of Non-Stationary Systems," In Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC 2019)
- K. Sultana, B. Williams, and A. Bosu, “A Comparison of Nano-patterns Vs. Software Metrics in Vulnerability Prediction,” 25th Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference, December 2018, Nara, Japan
- K. Sultana and B. Williams, “A Software Vulnerability Prediction Model using Traceable Code Patterns and Software Metrics, ” IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing (review)
- Z. Codabux, K. Sultana, and B. Williams, “The Relationship Between Code Smells and Traceable Patterns,” International Journal of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, v. 27, no. 9.
- K. Sultana, B. Williams and T. Bhowmik, “A Study Examining Relationships Between Micro Patterns and Security Vulnerabilities,” Software Quality Journal, November 2017
- Z. Codabux, B. Williams, G. Bradshaw, and M. Cantor, “An Empirical Evaluation of Technical Debt Practices in Industry,” Journal of Software: Evolution and Process, v. 29, no. 10, October 2017
- K. Sultana and B. Williams, “Evaluating Micro Patterns and Software Metrics in Vulnerability Prediction,” 6th IEEE/ACM International Workshop on Software Mining (SoftwareMining 2017), November 2017 (Co-located with the Automated Software Engineering Conference)
- K. Sultana, A. Deo, and B. Williams, “Correlation Analysis Among Java Nano-patterns and Software Vulnerabilities,” 18th IEEE International Symposium on High Assurance Systems Engineering, Singapore, January 12-14, 2017.
- M. Nadeem, B. Williams, G. Bradshaw, E. Allen, "Human Subject Evaluation of Computer–Security Training Recommender," in Proceedings: 40th IEEE Computer Society International Conference on Computers, Software & Applications (COMPSAC), Atlanta, GA, June 2016.
Awards & Distinctions
- ACM Senior Member
- Facebook Cybersecurity Service Award (Award BlackHat/DefCON Conference 2018)
- Google Faculty Institute Award
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education’s Top “Under 40” Emerging Scholars
Office: MAE 205B