Recent Nomads News
- [May - Aug 2013]
- - [Jan - May 2014]
- - Talk at Galatasaray University (Slides (pptx) [39MB]). This is an extended (2hr) talk from the Bogazici talk, with more details on vehicular mobility aspects.
- - A. Helmy on sabbatical. Visiting several universities in Istanbul, Turkey, among other places. More news to be updated soon.
- - Talk at Bogazici University (Slides (pptx.zip) [~19MB]).
- - New research award from KACST.
- - Gautam Thakur receives best paper award from ACM SIGSPATIAL IWCTS 2013 for work done with A. Helmy, D. Fey and P. Hui. Big Congrats and well done!!
- - more news/details soon...
- - [Aug - Nov 2013]
- - A. Helmy receives a new award from NSF to support funding for the MobiBench project.
- - Citations for A. Helmy and his group's publications reach a milestone (10,000 citations) with h-index=41 on
- - Guliz Tuncay passes the PhD dissertation proposal defense. Congratulations!.
- The Nomads group delivers three presentations at ACM MobiCom in Miami. A. Helmy also serves as the finance chair.
- - Web page visits exceed 97,400 with over 366,000 page views from over 4050 cities in 166 countries (since Dec 08).
- [Mar - May 2013]
- - Paper accepted with Guliz Tuncay and Giacomo Benincasa to the ACM MobiCom CHANTS workshop.
- - Two submissions accepted with Udayan Kumar, Guliz Tuncay, and Giacomo Benincasa to the Student Research Competition (SRC) at ACM MobiCom 2013 in Miami.
- - A. Helmy completes a visiting professorship in summer 2013 to the Aalto University, Otaniemi, Helsinki,
- - Three papers presented at the IEEE IWCMC in Cagliari, Italy.
- [Feb 2013]
- - A. Helmy's talk to Elisa (a main mobile operator in Finland) slides available (.pptx.zip)
- - A. Helmy's talk to Prof. Jorg Ott's group on iTrust and social discovery slides available (.pptx) [~6.4MB].
(Here are accompanying videos (.avi) visualizing WLAN user mobility and its clustering (Video 1 (~10MB),
Video 2 (~10MB), Video 3 (~15MB),
Video 4 (~10MB).)
- - A. Helmy delivers an invited seminar talk at Aalto University, Finland (formerly Helsinki University of Technology) - host Prof. Jorg Ott - to the Communications and Networking (Comnet) Department at the Electrical Engineering School
(talk slides (.pptx.zip) [~19MB]).
- - Jeeyoung Kim passes her Ph.D. defense exam, Congratulations !!
- - A. Helmy delivers 3 presentations at the IEEE INFOCOM conference, Global Internet (GI) workshop, Turin, Italy.
- [Jan 2013]
- - A. Helmy a winner of the Doctoral Dissertation Advisor/Mentoring Award for the College of Engineering and the CISE Department.
- - S. Moghaddam joins Samsung research labs, San Jose, CA. Congrats!
- - G. Thakur to join Oak Ridge National Labs (ORNL) for a research position. Congrats!
- - U. Kumar to join Motorola Mobile (Google), Chicago. Congrats!
- [Dec 2012]
- - Industrial advisory board (IAB) meeting talk at the CISE Dept.
- - The IMPORTANT work (IEEE Infocom 2003, and Ad Hoc Networks Journal - Elsevier 2003) reaches 1,000+ citations
on Google scholar !
- - Two papers co-authored with Gautam Thakur (one of which also with Pan Hui) accepted at
IEEE Infocom GI workshop, 2013.
- [Oct - Nov 2012]
- - Udayan Kumar, Saeed Moghaddam and Gautam Thakur graduate with their Ph.D. !!! Congratulations !!
- - Four members of the Nomads group walk in the graduation ceremony ! Congrats !
- [Summer: May - Sept 2012]
- - Paper presented at ACM SenSys - PhoneSense workshop by Udayan Kumar
on iTrust. [The iTrust Android app is now released
under GNU GPL v3 license.]
- - Congratulations to Saeed Moghaddam for passing his Ph.D. defense !!
- - Congratulations to Udayan Kumar for passing his Ph.D. defense !!
- - A. Helmy's citations exceed 9,000. Citation index h=41
- [Mar - April 2012]
- - The Profile-cast paper with Wei-Jen and Debo now published by Ad Hoc Networks Journal - Elsevier.
- - Paper with Udayan on "Discovering Trustworthy Social Spaces" accepted for presentation at ACM SenSys - PhoneSense 2012.
- - Paper with Saeed accepted for presentation at ACM MSWiM 2012.
- - A. Helmy invited for NSF international collaboration workshops as a speaker
and panelist at Istanbul, Turkey (June) and Shanghai/Huangshan, China (Aug).
- - Several invited and keynote talks delivered in Cairo and Alexandria, Egypt including:
- - Keynote at IEEE INFOS Conference - Cairo University - Nile University - Egypt Japan Univ for Science and Technology (EJUST)
- [Jan 2012]
- - Nomads group has 6 presentations (of papers, demos, posters) at Infocom and associated workshops in Orlando.
- - Journal paper with Gautam, Udayan and Wei-Jen on "Gauging Human Mobility Characteristics and its Impact on Mobile Routing Performance" published.
- - Paper with Jeeyoung on "Analyzing the Mobility, Predictability and Evolution of WLAN Users" accepted for journal publication.
- [Dec 2011]
- - A. Helmy's h-index reaches '40', citations exceed 7,600
(Google scholar citations).
An entry created for A. Helmy on the h-index UCLA website
(by Prof. Jens Palsberg, CS Chair), hosting the most cited computer science authors.
- [Nov 2011]
- - Udayan Kumar successfully defends his dissertation proposal. Congrats !
- - A. Helmy's citations exceed 7,500. My Google scholar citations public page can
be accessed through this link.
- [Sept 2011]
- [May-Aug 2011]
- - Sungwook Moon successfully defends his Ph.D. dissertation. Congrats Dr. Moon !!
- - Saeed Moghaddam wins UF Int'l student award. Congrats !
- - A. Helmy acted as the general chair for the ACM MSWiM 2011 conference.
- - Citation impact factor for A. Helmy h-index= 38. Here is a list
of the most cited papers.
- Work with Saeed Moghaddam on modeling mobile web access patterns using self-organizing maps is invited for journal submission. Work with Jeeyoung Kim on evolution of WLAN user mobility and its effect on prediction is invited for journal submission.
Work with Gautam Thakur, Udayan Kumar and Wei-Jen Hsu on efficacy of mobility modeling for DTNs is invited for journal submission.
- Work with Saeed Moghaddam accepted at ACM MSWiM 2011.
- Citations for A. Helmy exceed 7,000 on
Here is a list (in html) (or in pdf) of the most cited publications.
Ranking on Microsoft academic among the most cited authors: at UF 4th (last 10 yrs), 12th (all yrs) -
rank in CS among top 0.10%, 898 (last 10 yrs), 1784 (all yrs),
- rank in networks and communications 192 (last 10 yrs), 207 (all yrs).
- [Apr 2011]
- - The journal paper of the 'profile-cast' protocol is avaiable on-line through
the Ad Hoc Networks Journal - Elsevier at CSI: A paradigm for behavior-oriented profile-cast services
in mobile networks.
- - A. Helmy visited T-labs (and Technische Universitat (TU) Berlin), Germany for ~3 weeks to collaborate with Dr. Pan (Ben) Hui and his group, and deliver an invited talk.
Gautam Thakur spends a summer internship at T-labs Berlin (his 2nd, after a previous time in Fall 2010).
- - Work with Shao-Cheng Wang on "BEWARE: Background Traffic-Aware Rate Adaptation for IEEE 802.11" published in the
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 19, No. 4, Aug 2011.
- [Jan-Mar 2011]
- - A. Helmy to chair ACM MobiCom CHANTS '11,
ACM MSWiM '11, IEEE IWCMC '11, ICST AdHocNets '11,
and poster/demo of
IEEE SECON '11.
- - Citations for A. Helmy exceed 6,700 on Google scholar, h-index=36.
Here is a list of the most cited publications.
- [Nov-Dec 2010]
- - Work with Shao-Cheng Wang on "BEWARE: Background Traffic-Aware Rate Adaptation for IEEE 802.11" accepted to the
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking.
- - Work with Saeed Moghaddam accepted for presentation at IEEE INFOCOM 2011.
- - Four papers accepted for presentation at IEEE IWCMC with: - Saeed Moghaddam, - Jeeyoung Kim,
- Sungwook Moon, and - Gautam Thakur, Udayan Kumar and Wei-Jen Hsu.
- - Citations for A. Helmy exceed 6,600 on Google scholar, h-index=35.
- - Web page visits exceed 47,600 with over 201,000 page views from over 3080 cities in 141 countries
(since Dec 08).
- - Downloads from the ACM digital library exceed 15,000 for Ahmed Helmy's
- [Sep-Oct 2010]
- - Work with Wei-Jen and Debo accepted for publication at Adhoc
Networks Journal - Elsevier.
- - Chaired and moderated a plenary panel of keynote speakers on Sensor
Networks at GlobeCom 2010.
- - Citations for A. Helmy exceed 6,500 on Google scholar,
- [Jul-Aug 2010]
- - Nomads win 2nd place prize (runner-up) in the ACM WiNTECH demo competition
for test beds for 'Mobile Test Beds with an Attitude!' led by Sungwook Moon, at the 2010 MobiCom/MobiHoc joint conference in Chicago, from
among 15 entries. Congratulations !
- - The Nomads group had 8 presentations (including papers, posters, demos, competitions) at ACM MobiCom/MobiHoc and associated workshops.
- - "Tutorial" (pdf),
ACM MSWIM, Oct 2010.
- [May - Jun 2010]
- - Talk on "Data-driven Modeling and Design of Networked Mobile Societies" (pdf),
Keynote at ACM IWCMC, Jul 2010.
- - Paper accepted with Gautam Thakur and Wei-Jen Hsu to ACM MobiCom CHANTS workshop on Challenged Networks.
- - Two papers accepted to ACM MSWIM with: 1) Saeed Moghaddam, Sanjay Ranka, Manas Somaya and 2) Udayan Kumar.
- - Two papers accepted to GlobeCom with: 1) Sungwook Moon, 2) Gautam Thakur, Mukul Sharma.
- - Paper accepted to ACM IWCMC with Udayan Kumar and Gautam Thakur.
- - Three entries accepted for the ACM MobiCom Student Research Competition (SRC).
Four posters and a demo accepted to ACM MobiCom. A demo at ACM MobiCom WiNTECH workshop.
- - Paper accepted with Saeed Moghaddam to IEEE MASS Scenes workshop.
- [Jan - Mar 2010]
- - Presentation at Paris 6 University (LIP6), and keynote at ACM IWCMC on "Data-driven Modeling and Design of
Networked Mobile Societies: A Paradigm Shift for Future Social Networking"
- - Citations for A. Helmy exceed 6000 on Google scholar.
- - Web page visits exceed 35,400 with over 155,000 page views from over 2160 cities in 132 countries (since Dec 08).
- Teaching evaluations 4.9/5.0 for CNT5106 C taught in Fall 2009.
- Web page visits exceed 31,000 with over 140,000 page views from over 1750 cities in 122
countries (since Dec 08).
- [Oct - Dec 09]
- - Work with Wei-Jen Hsu "On Nodal Encounter Patterns in Wireless LAN Traces" accepted to the IEEE Transactions on Mobile
Computing. To appear.
- [Aug 09]
- - Ganesha Bhaskara passes Ph.D. defense, Congratulations !
- - Work with Shamim begum and Sandeep Gupta on "Modeling the Interactions Between MAC and Higher Layers" accepted to the ACM Transactions on
Modeling and Computer Simulation (TOMACS)
- - Citations for A. Helmy exceed 5500 (on Google scholar).
H-index = 31, g-index= 70. (more h-index info)
- - Web page visits exceed 25,000 with over 111,000 page views, from over 1320 cities in 116 countries since Dec 08.
- [July 09]
- - The web pages for A. Helmy have over 10,000 visits with over 46,000 page views, from over 1,000
cities in over 110 countries around the world since Dec 6, 2008.
- [June 09]
- - A. Helmy's H-index for citations reaches 30 (using Google scholar)
- - Citations for A. Helmy exceed 5000 (using Google scholar).
- - Teaching evaluation 5.0/5.0 for CIS6930 taught in Spring 2009.
- - Yongjin Kim's work on 'CATCH: A Protocol Framework for Cross-layer Attacker Traceback in
Mobile Multi-Hop Networks' accepted for publication at the Ad Hoc Networks Journal - Elsevier.
- - Udayan's work on 'Human behavior and Challenges of anonymizing WLAN traces' accepted for presentation at Globecom 2009.
- [May 09]
- A. Helmy presents an invited tutorial on mobility modeling at the ACM IWCMC conference (Leipzig, Germany).
Presentation slides available (.ppt 1) (.ppt
- A. Helmy presents invited talks at the American University in Beirut (AUB), Lebanese American University (LAU), and the Nile University (Cairo), and
discusses research ideas with peers at Cairo University and the American University in Cairo (AUC).
- [Feb. 09]
- Work with Sapon Tanachaiwiwat on 'Analysis of Worm Interactions: in Wired and Wireless Networks' published as a book, now availabe
- Shamim's work on 'Test Generation for Worst-Case Performance Evaluation of MAC Protocols for Wireless Ad Hoc Networks' accepted for full presentation
(top 20%) at the IEEE MASCOTS conference.
- [Jan. 09]
- - Sapon's work on encounter-based worm propagation accepted to Ad Hoc Networks Journal. To appear soon.
- - Shao-Cheng's work on Beware MAC rate adapation and Jeeyoung's work on predictability of highly mobile users selected for publication at
ACM Sigmobile MC2R
- [Nov. 08] Work on time variant community model for mobility modeling
(with Wei-Jen, Akis & Kostas Psounis) has been accepted at IEEE/ACM
Transactions on Networking. To appear soon.
- [Oct. 08] The work on Socially-aware communication paradigm is funded by
an NSF Nets Aware project for 3 years. A. Helmy sole PI.
- [Sept 08] Congratulations to Shao-Cheng for his 'final-four' pick in the
ACM MobiCom '08 SRC competition for his work on 'Beware' implementation.
- [Jul. 08]
- - Citations for A. Helmy exceed 4500 (scholar.google.com)
- - Congratulations to Shamim and Shirin for passing their Ph.D. defense exams !!
- [May 08]
- - Congratulations to Wei-Jen Hsu for passing his Ph.D. defense
!! He shall be joining Cisco soon.
- - Congratulations to Shao-Cheng Wang for passing his Ph.D.
defense !! He shall be joining Intel soon.
- - Congratulations to Udayan Kumar for passing his MS defense !
He shall be joining the PhD program at UF where he was recently
- - Citations for A. Helmy exceed 4000 (scholar.google.com)
- - Teaching evaluation 5.0/5.0 for CIS6930 taught in Spring 2008.
- [Feb. 08] Papers accepted for: Shao-Cheng (WoWMoM, 7% acceptance rate to
the plenary session), Wei-Jen and Debo (WCNC), Udayan (MODUS IPSN
workshop), and Jabed (ICSN).
- [Jan. 08]
- - The work on Behavior-aware services in mobile networks has
been funded by a Cisco grant.
- - I am chairing the colloquium committee for the CISE dept, and
have hosted several distinguished speakers in our seminar series in Sp08,
including: Jan (K. Almeroth, UCSB), Feb (M. Ammar, GATech and G. Bekey
USC), Mar (R. Bryant, CMU and P. R. Kumar, UIUC), among others. For a
complete list of
seminars and details about each seminar please see the
Barr Systems distinguished seminar link at the CISE website, and
- [Nov. 07]
- - Congratulations to Wei-Jen and Shao-Cheng for
passing their dissertation proposal exams !
- - Citations for A. Helmy exceed 3500 (scholar.google.com).
- [Oct. 07] Congratulations to Sapon for passing his Ph.D. defense at
USC !! [He
is now with Innovative Scheduling in Gainesville.]
- [Sept. 07]
- - Kitae's work on cross-layer analysis of TCP over adhoc networks gets accepted as journal paper to IEEE Transactions on Mobile
- - Karim and Marco's work on geographic routing over lossy links gets accepted as journal paper to ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks
- [June 07] The work on 'Mining Behavioral Groups in Large Wireless
LANs' (short paper) with Wei-Jen Hsu and Debo Dutta, accepted at ACM
MobiCom 07 (rate ~11%, 27 of 233 submissions).
- [May 07] Congratulations to: Jabed for passing Ph.D. defense !! [to
join Cisco], Shirin and Ganesh for passing Ph.D. quals.
- [Apr. 07]
- - Work on 'Gender-based feature analysis in Campus-wide WLANS',
Udayan Kumar, Nikhil Yadav, Ahmed Helmy, wins in the Student Research
Competition (SRC) at ACM MobiCom (3rd place prize). [MobiCom is the
premier conference on wireless networks.]
- - Work on 'Profile-cast: Behavior-Aware Mobile Networking', Wei-Jen Hsu,
Debojyoti Dutta, Ahmed Helmy, ranks 5th in the ACM MobiCom SRC.
- - Nomads group has 9 presentations at Mobicom:
presentation at SRC finalists, invited talk at Crawdad, Mobicom short
paper, 1 full paper & demo at Chants, 2 posters in ACM Mobicom SRC, 2
posters at Crawdad.
- - Citations for A. Helmy exceed 3000 on Google scholar.
- [Feb. 07] The MAID paper accepted at the IEEE SECON 07 (Acceptance rate:
- [Nov. 06] The 'Time-variant Tiered-Community Mobility Model'
paper accepted at the IEEE INFOCOM 07 (Acceptance rate below 18%).
- [Oct. 06]
- - Number of citations for A. Helmy is over 2800 overall
(scholar Google), up from ~1730 in
- - Two papers to be presented at IEEE BroadNets 07.
- [Aug 06] Top 0.43% most cited CS authors (CiteSeer) with over
1000 citations. (Search Google Scholar for updated citations)
- [June - Oct. 06] Papers
accepted to IEEE LCN, ACM SASN security workshop and IEEE SSS security
Posters accepted to ACM MobiCom, and IEEE SECON.
These papers/posters were presented Aug - Nov 06.
- [Aug. 06] A. Helmy appointed as the ACM SIGMOBILE workshop
coordinator/chair for 07 to coordinate workshops for MobiCom, MobiHoc,
MobiSys and SenSys Conferences.
- [Fall 06] A. Helmy moves to University of Florida as Asssociate
Professor in the CISE Dept. Tenure file ranked by experts in college of
Eng in the top 10 in 20 years! The Nomads group and lab move to UF.
- - Karim's work on robust geographic face routing accepted as Journal paper to the Journal on AdHoc
Networks - Elsevier.
- - A. Helmy to chair the Mobile/Sensor Networks track for the
HiPC'07 conference in India.
Older Nomads News [before Aug. 06]
- - [Jul. 06] A. Helmy ranks 1st in the 2005 annual merit review in the EE
Dept at USC, among 40 faculty in EE, for the 2nd year in a row.
- - [Summer 06]
- - Yongjin Kim passes Ph.D. defense.
Congratulations! He is
now with QualComm heading an effort on wireless security.
- - Sapon Tanachaiwiwat passes his quals exam at USC. Wei-Jen Hsu and Shao-Cheng Wang pass their EEE degree exams at
- - [Apr. '06] Some Invited Talks: University of Florida (April
'06), Northeastern University (April '06), UC-Riverside (March '06), UC-Merced
(March '06), University of Oregon (March '06), UC-Riverside (Nov. '05), MIT (Jun '05) [presentation
.ppt (4.7MB)], Boston University (Jun '05),
UC-Santa Barbara (June '05), UC-Irvine (May '05), UIUC (June '04), U Maryland
(June '04), UCLA (May '04), Georgia Tech (Mar. '04).
- - [Jan. '06 - Feb. '06]
- - A. Helmy chairing the
IEEE ICPADS 2006 Wireless
and Sensor Networks track. Also elected to Chair the IEEE MMNS 2006
conference. To serve on the TPC for
IEEE SECON and
ICNP 2006 Conferences.
- - Two papers accepted to IEEE WiNMee 2006 workshop on
wireless network measurements. Five papers accepted to IEEE INFOCOM 2006
- Jan '06: Jabed and Yongjin pass their qualifying exam.
- - [Oct. 2005] Tutorial on 'Mobility Modeling for Wireless Networks'
Int'l Conf on Communications and Computer Networks
- - [Aug. 2005]
- - [Jul. 2005] Invited Talk
at the IEEE/ACM Third International Workshop on Measurement, Modeling, and Performance
Analysis of Wireless Sensor Networks
(SenMetrics). Panel lead
and moderator at IEEE/ACM Mobiquitous Conference (slides .ppt).
- - [May - June 2005]
- - Initiated a community-wide library of mobile wireless
networks traces (MobiLib).
Paper accepted at IEEE
- - R. Govindan, A. Helmy and B. Krishnamachari established
the new wireless and sensor networking laboratory in the new
- - Karim Seada, Fan Bai and Narayanan Sadagopan passed
their PhD defense exams. Congratulations ! Fan is at General Motors
research labs, Karim is at Nokia research labs and Nara is at Yahoo!
- - [March '05]
- - Paper (and 2 posters) accepted to ACM MOBIHOC
2005 (acceptance rate: 14%)
- - Two papers (and 3 posters) presented at IEEE
INFOCOM 2005 (acceptance rate 17%). Paper accepted to
- - [Nov. '04] Paper presented at ACM SenSys 2004
(acceptance rate 14.5%)
- - [Sept. '04] New NSF funded project, ACQUIRE on querying
in sensor networks, has started.
- - [Jan. '04] Release of the IMPORTANT mobility
simulation tool (also contributed to NS-2).
Other non-Nomads News [after Aug. 06]
- Some Gators
Computer Science and Engineering News:
- - [Jan. 10] My Thai is awarded the NSF CAREER award. Congrats !
- - [Dec. 09] Baba Vemuri elected an ACM Fellow. Congrats !
- - [Apr. 09] Alper Ungor is awarded the NSF CAREER award. Congrats !
- - [Jan. 09] Tamer Kahveci is awarded the NSF CAREER award. Congrats !
- - [Aug. 08] Tamer Kahveci and
his group win best paper award in
prestigious Computational Systems Biology conference.
- - [Apr. 08] (US News & World Report) UF's Computer Engineering department
graduate program ranked
in the top 15 among the nation's public institutions (up 6
last year's). UF's Engineering School's graduate program ranked 14th among
the public institutes in the US, up 3 from last year's ranking (24th
up 2 from last year's).
- - [Mar. 08]
Jermaine awarded Sloan fellowship. Prabhat Mishra
awarded NSF CAREER award. Ben
Lock wins best paper award in
the IEEE Virtual Reality 2008 Conference. More info on the CISE website.
- - [June 07]
and Alin Dobra
of the CISE dept at UF won the Best
Paper Award in the ACM SIGMOD conference. Congrats !!
- - [May/Aug. 07] Gainesville
is ranked #1 by Cities, ranked and rated and ranked #3 in the best College towns.
- - [Mar/Apr. 07] Gators Engineering: Seven NSF CAREER Awards in 2007
from UF College of
Engineering [#1 nationally, tied with MIT]. Two from the CISE
Dept. (bringing total to 9+ CAREER/PYI
Awards at CISE). Two in the wireless networking area. Overall UF got 10
CAREER awards in 07 (#1
- - Shigang Chen, and Ben Lock win CAREER Awards in
CISE. Oliver (Dapeng) Wu wins
CAREER Award in ECE.
Other recent winners of the CAREER Award in CISE include Alin Dobra,
Chris Jermaine, and
- Some Local & Sports News:
Note: All copyrights for publications, material, and slides and reserved. You may use this material in compliance with the copyright
laws, and you should cite them appropriately as needed. If you need to use them in a different way you need to get the explicit consent
from me, and that of any other copyright holders (as applicable).