Ahmed Helmy received Ph.D. in Computer Science '99 (with Prof. Deborah Estrin) from the
University of Southern California (USC), M.S. in Electrical Engineering (EE) '95 from USC, M.S. Eng. Math '94 & B.S. in EE '92 from Cairo University, Egypt.
He was a key researcher in the Network Simulator NS-2 and Protocol-Independent Multicast
(PIM) projects at USC/ISI from '95-99.
Before joining UF in '06, he was on the
EE Dept faculty at USC starting Fall '99, where he founded and directed the Wireless & Sensor Networks Labs.
In '02, he received the National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER
Award for his research on resource discovery and mobility modeling in large-scale wireless networks
In '00 he received the Zumberge Award, and in '02 he received the best
paper award from the IEEE/IFIP MMNS
Conference. In '03 he was the EE nominee for the USC Engineering Jr. Faculty Research
Award, and a nominee for the Sloan Fellowship. In '04 & '05 he got the
best faculty merit ranking at the EE dept,
USC. He was a winner in the ACM
MobiCom '07 SRC, finalist in '08 and '12 SRC research competitions and winner in ACM MobiCom WiNTech demo '10.
He is a leader of the NSF funded
Acquire & Aware.
His research interests include design, analysis & measurement of
wireless adhoc, sensor & mobile social networks,
mobility modeling, multicast protocols, IP mobility & network simulation.
He has published over 200 journal articles, conference papers and posters,
book chapters & IETF RFCs/IDs.
His research is (or has been) supported by grants from
NSF, Intel, Cisco, DARPA, NASA,
Nortel, HP, Pratt & Whitney, Siemens & Silicon Graphics.
Dr. Helmy is an associate editor of the IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (TMC) ('12-), area editor of the IEEE Computer ('10-),
and the Adhoc Networks Journal - ElSevier ('04-'11).
He is (or was) the co-chair of ACM MobiSys HotPlanet '12, the general chair of ACM MSWiM '11,
co-chair for ACM MobiCom CHANTS '11,
honorary chair for IEEE IWCMC '11,
co-chair for ICST AdHocNets '11, poster co-chair IEEE SECON '11,
general chair for ACM IWCMC '10, track chair for IEEE MASS '10,
track chair, poster & Ph.D. forum chair for IEEE ICNP '09,
local arrangements chair for IEEE ICNP '08,
IEEE Infocom Global Internet (GI) workshop '08,
co-chair of IFIP/IEEE MMNS '06,
and vice-chair for IEEE ICPADS '06, and
IEEE HiPC '07.
He was ACM SIGMOBILE workshop
chair (for MobiCom, Mobihoc, Mobisys, Sensys) ('06-'11). He served on
numerous committees of IEEE & ACM conferences on networks.
He is a senior member of ACM (ACM SIGCOMM, ACM SIGMOBILE) &
a senior member of IEEE (IEEE-Computer Society, IEEE-Communications Society).
- Short C.V. (pdf) [16 pages,
updated Jan 2012]
- Full C.V.
(pdf) [37 pages, updated Nov 2012]
- Publication Citations (H-index=41, citations: 10,000, Google Citations/Google Scholar, Nov '13).
- Quick links:
- - The TRACE framework for Mining Mobile User Behavior:
- "Structural Analysis of User Association Patterns in
University Campus Wireless LANs", IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (TMC), Vol. 11, No. 11, November 2012 (also ACM MobiCom 2007).
- - Profile-cast: Mobile social networking:
- "CSI: A Paradigm for Behavior-oriented Profile-cast
Services in Mobile Networks", Ad Hoc Networks Journal - Elsevier,
Vol. 10, Issue 8, November 2012 - Watch the videos.
- - iTrust: Mobile (Android) app to
augment user's awareness of their location, context, and the devices around them (using Bluetooth, WiFi
scanning, and scoring filters for potential trustworthy devices).
Trustworthy Social Spaces", ACM SenSys - PhoneSense, Nov. 2012.
- - SOM:
"Multidimensional Modeling and Analysis of Wireless Users
Online Activity and Mobility: A Neural-networks Map Approach", ACM MSWiM,
November 2011 (also IEEE INFOCOM 2011).
- - "BEWARE:
Background Traffic-Aware Rate Adaptation for IEEE 802.11",
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 19, Issue 4, August 2011
(also IEEE WoWMoM 2009).
- - The IMPACT study on Nodal Encounter Patterns in WLAN Traces: - IEEE Transactions on Mobile
Computing (TMC), Vol. 9, No. 11, November 2010.
- - Mobile web usage co-clustering: "Data-driven
Co-clustering Model of Internet Usage in Large Mobile Societies",
ACM MSWiM, October 2010.
- - "Extract: Mining Social Features from WLAN
Traces: A Gender-Based Case Study", ACM MSWIM,
- - Time-variant Community (TVC) mobility model:
- IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (ToN), October 2009
(also IEEE INFOCOM 2007) ,
- mobility tool
- - The IMPORTANT mobility study:
- IEEE INFOCOM 2003 ,
- Ad Hoc Network Journal November 2003 ,
- mobility tool
- - MobiLib wireless traces library (updated Sept. '11).
- - A. Helmy is general Chair for ACM MSWiM, November 2011
- co-Chair for ACM MobiCom CHANTS, September 2011
- co-Chair for ACM MobiSys HotPlanet, June 2012.
- - My research group: NOMADS lab webpage; researching and designing networks of
mobile ad hoc devices and sensors.
- - CIS4930/6930 Mobile Networking (special topics) Spring '13 course web page.
(Office hrs: 9-10AM Tues/Thurs).