| Eakta can write in red ink using a green marker. |
Email: ejain at cise dot ufl dot edu
Office: E540 CSE Building
Mailing address: PO Box 116120, Gainesville FL 32611
I am an Assistant Professor at the Computer and Information Science and Engineering Department at the University of Florida.
Before joining the Gator Nation, I worked at Texas Instruments in the
areas of augmented reality and computer vision, and as an adjunct
faculty at University of Texas at Dallas. For the latest in innovation from TI, check out the Systems and Applications Lab.
I completed my doctoral work at the Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University. I worked in the Graphics Lab and was advised by Jessica Hodgins and Yaser Sheikh. Before starting graduate school, I got a B.Tech. in Electrical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur.
Research: I am interested in connecting artist-created visual
content with computer-driven technologies. In my lab, we ask questions
such as "how do comic artists create a comic book?" and "how do film
editors edit a movie?". Asking such questions leads to research at the
intersection of computer graphics, applied perception, and data-driven
algorithms. We call this intersection human-centered computer graphics.
Graduate Students: I have TA/RA positions available. I am
also looking for summer students. Please email to ask for a meeting (in
person/Skype/phone) if you are interested in this area. For our
meeting, please come prepared to discuss three ideas that you'd like to
work on. If you have a hobby or a favorite science-fiction book, we'll
talk about that too.
Undergraduate Students: Please check the Center for Undergraduate Research page. I advertise opportunities via the CURBS Research Opportunities page. Also, join the Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/CURBS/. For any questions, please email and I'll be happy to set up a meeting.
New: Check out the Computer Engineering Undergraduate Research page here.
- NEW! Gaze-driven Video Re-editing ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG), 2015. (to be presented at SIGGRAPH this August)
- Predicting Primary Gaze Behavior using Social Saliency Fields International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV), 2013.
- ERELT: a faster alternative to the list-based interfaces for tree exploration and searching in mobile devices Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Visual Information Communication and Interaction (VINCI), 2013
- 3D Social Saliency from Head-mounted Cameras Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS) , 2012.
- Inferring Artistic Intention in Comic Art through Viewer Gaze ACM Symposium on Applied Perception (SAP), 2012. Honorable Mention Best Paper
- Three-dimensional Proxies for Hand-drawn Characters ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG), 2012.
- Augmenting Hand Animation with Three-dimensional Secondary Motion'' Proceedings of the Symposium on Computer Animation (SCA), 2010. Best Paper Award
- Leveraging the Talent of Hand Animators to Create Three-Dimensional Animation Proceedings of the Symposium on Computer Animation (SCA), 2009.
- Hypergraphs- Organizing complex natural neural networks, Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Intelligent Sensing and Information Processing, 2005. E. Jain, M. J. Healy, L. Saland, D. Hamilton, A. Allan, K. Caldwell, T. P. Caudell.
- Dancing Puppets- An Innovative Approach to Learning Programming"
Proceedings of the International Conference on Engineering Education, University of Florida, 2004. R. Bhattacharya,
Nidhi, E. Jain, U. Maitra, G. Sharma, S. B. Agravat, A. Mukherjee.
CMU Online Repository
ACM Digital Library
Attention-guided Algorithms to Retarget and Augment Animations, Stills and Videos
My recent CV is here. (pdf)
my CMU webpage
updated March 2014.
Contact: ejain at cise dot ufl dot edu